How To Find The Right Cosmetic Dentist
Choosing the right cosmetic dentist helps you achieve the smile you desire. Unlike your typical dentist, a cosmetic dentist focuses on the overall aesthetics of your teeth.
Sometimes, even if your teeth are all free from cavities, you may still feel shy about flashing your smile. This is especially true if your gums tend to show a lot, or if you have yellowish teeth. Thankfully, you can always turn to cosmetic dentistry to resolve such dilemmas.
It is not that easy to find the right dentist though. Nevertheless, you have to spend more time and effort in knowing your potential dentist. By doing so, you can avoid faulty dental work that will cause you stress and costly corrections later on. If you do not know where to start, below are the steps in searching for your next dentist.
1. Flash your smile in front of a mirror first. Stare intently at your own reflection. What bothers you the most about your smile? Is it your gummy smile or set of crooked teeth? If your teeth are all healthy but yellowish, you may consider dental whitening and other services, especially if that stops you from presenting your best smile.
2. Have an idea about the kind of dental work you will need. If you have limited knowledge about dental services, you can search for before and after pictures of cosmetic dentistry. Often, the dental work is indicated along with the picture.
3. Make a list of dentists in your area. The first one you should ask for recommendations should be your GP. If one or more of your loved ones underwent cosmetic dentistry, you can also refer to them. Ask them about the kind of dental problems they had, and the advice they got. Then, inquire about their experiences with certain dentists.
4. Do a background check about the cosmetic dentists online. Reading patient testimonials online can help narrow down your search for the best cosmetic dentist. You can find pictures of their work online. But, try to do an image search to find out whether the pictures are not stolen from another specialist.
You should also find out the educational background of the cosmetic dentists in your list. Search about their experience and memberships as well. Make sure the dentists also have the necessary permits and licenses to do general dentistry.
5. Schedule a visit. During your visit, you can ask about the techniques, materials and equipment used. Pay attention to how they treat you as well. You should be with a dentist who makes you feel comfortable. If it is possible, inquire about the preparation you will need for the dental work.
Finding the best cosmetic dentist for you should not take more than a week. Once you are sure of the dentist, prepare for your dental procedure.